Asparagus, prosciutto and pine nut salad
A easy salad from Shannon Bennett which works well with our Lime and Ginger Mayonnaise.
3 bunches asparagus, trimmed
200g sourdough, crusts removed, torn into pieces
2/3 cup (165ml) olive oil
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
6 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
1 tbs baby capers in brine, drained
1/2 cup firmly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tbs currants
2 tbs toasted pine nuts
8 thin slices prosciutto
Finely grated parmesan, to serve
1. Peel 6 asparagus spears lengthways into ribbons. Place in a bowl of iced water and set aside until needed.
2. Meanwhile, pulse sourdough in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat 1/4 cup (60ml) oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add sourdough to pan and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel to drain and cool.
3. Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue to medium heat. Place remaining asparagus in a shallow dish and drizzle with 1 tbs oil. Grill, turning occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until tender and charred. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. To make dressing, place lemon zest and juice, anchovies, capers, parsley and remaining 85ml oil in a blender and whiz until green and smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
5. Place charred asparagus on a serving plate. Drain asparagus ribbons and pat dry with paper towel. Arrange ribbons over charred asparagus and scatter with crispy sourdough, currants, pine nuts and prosciutto. Spoon over some of the dressing. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve with remaining dressing.